Saturday, September 27, 2008

Where Do You Live?

Where we live has impact on our daily choices. Think about it. For example, when I was in NYC (a place my cousin loves and where he chooses to live) I was astonished at how few children I saw in downtown Manhattan. I'm sure this cultural nuance is understood by the natives, but it was very different than what I've seen in other regions of the U.S.

To fulfill your daring dream (to use John C. Maxwell's excellent phrase - found on page 17 in his book, Dare to Dream), you really must look at where you live. The components of life in your home town (or city) really do impact your daily living. If you struggle to make your dream come into view, one thing you must look at is the makeup of your home town. If it is not aiding what you feel you were put on this earth for, start making plans to be open to possible change. Change is good when you're changing for powerful living. (If you can figure out how this is just like the butterfly, write and let me know!).

For example, my gifted cousin is a screenwriter. He lives in NYC and loves the experience, because it puts him where his work is needed. He loves the vibrancy of the city and feels the heartbeat of that fascinating place. But what if his dream were to open a small bookshop in the heart of Americana somewhere in the west? NYC would squelch the pulse of that particular dream into a weakened stream of focus.

Here is a list of cities you may want to consider for your next "butterfly" power move.